Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Amazing! what things and people one misses

The other day when I was sitting in a hair dressing saloon braiding my hair, I had enough time to think through my life. I was amazed at how much I missed certain things and people. I always lie to myself about not missing home, but hey that is just one way of getting over it. I might not miss the obvious but there are people and things I miss that give me a feeling of frustration at times.

* My hair dresser. Oh how I wish I could spend that much money I used to, and get a good hair-do. Back in Yaounde, at times I felt my hair dresser was taking more than he ought to from me, because he was always on the high side of pricing compared to others. Not that others were as good as he was of course, but you know that feeling especially when you are counting your money in the ...000s (FCFA not £). Now I wish he was around. Since I got to Lagos, I have tried a few hair-dressers but their services have not satisfied me. How I miss him!

* Cameroonian dishes. When I walk into an eatery here, I sigh at the thought of the wide variety of dishes in a restaurant in Cameroon. Not to say much here, try both countries and you will find yourself running back to Cameroon! And oh how I miss fresh green spices.

* National team t-shirt. Back in Cameroon, I would not wear the Indomitable Lions' t-shirt even if it was given to me for free (don't get me wrong here, I was a fervent supporter, if ever there was one). At the end of January 09, my brother in law who came for a visit in Lagos (from Ife) wore one and I almost pulled it off him out of covetousness. I am happy I convinced him to leave that with me!

* My neighbour's kid. One of my neighbour's in Cameroon has one of the most amazing kids I have ever seen. She is so gracious, and will make anyone smile even in the worst of days. She is very alert and would remember everybody's name (or pet name), and she was barely 2!

* Girls night out! Those who are guilty know what I am referring to... I miss my company of friends!

* Of course I miss having electricity (without the noise of generators) 24/7; driving for 15-20 minutes to work (compared with the two hours here), and driving alone very late in the night without fear of being harassed.

I miss pays... Camer pour toujours!

3 comments:

T! Ntemgwa said...

Thanks for sharing, makes me appreciate Cmr even MOOORE!
T! Ntemgwa

mabsfominyen said...

Massa pays na pays after everything!

PreXav said...

Camer for life...