Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Myomectomy – My Experience, The Day of the Surgery


July 5, 2018


1:12am nurse comes to check if I had reserved the blood needed. He had just received a call to that effect



4:30am Janitor comes in to clean



5:30am I’m literally yanked out of bed by same nurse who came earlier. He ordered me to undress and get into the scrubs he was holding because the Dr was already in the theatre. I had to beg for two mins to brush my teeth and then I was off to the operating room.
Dr asks if I’m scared and anesthetist told him I don’t look scared. Onto bed and anesthetist gets to work setting up IV and stuff. More nurses come in and were moving this and arranging that, cleaning me up with Betadine and other chemicals 



6am sharp the knife went in. I started viewing in the mirror but couldn’t continue so they pulled the sheet to shield my view.
Drs work fast... click click click goes the heart/pressure monitor.
First stone-like calcified fibroid, Dr shows me. Larger than a lawn tennis ball and really ugly. Later the other big living fibroid out and four smaller ones. Note here that so far, all the scans I had done had been showing only 2 fibroids.



6:43am I hear Dr asking for thread. I asked if he was closing me up already. He responded he was stitching the uterus. That had gone faster than I thought - the removal of the fibroids
Oh side note hubby had given his phone and unlock code to Dr for video. So an assistant was taking the videos which I have refused to watch till this day.
During the entire procedure the Drs were chatty. They sounded like people doing what they like and I learnt quite a few things about them individually. They made me promise not to repeat the stories they told about themselves because what happens in the operating room stays in the operating room.
Throughout the procedure the only song I could think of was ‘the steadfast love of my lord...’ Thank you Ms M (My Prayer partner) for making me love that song.



By 7:40am, I was sealed completely and yanked onto another gurney and the operating room was prepared for an emergency patient - so they said
I was then rolled to my room



8:00am – 9:35am I was working on some work stuff. I called my family and very close friends who knew about the surgery to inform them that it had happened and was successful. I informed my Supervisor that I had just had a surgery and asked her to inform the office. My colleagues with whom I had exchanged emails were so surprised and called to check if I had really had an operation since they have received some emails from me some minutes ago. However, I won’t advise anyone to work immediately out of the operating room, unless work is healing to you as it is to me. As I was doing all of these activities, I was throwing up continuously, from the effect of the anesthesia.


9:35am: Anesthesia effect wears off. I thought I’ll feel the pain that my friend who had gone through same had described but I felt no pain even after the numbness of my legs wore off. BUT I was still throwing up… some darkish green bitter substance (bile).
Throughout the day I lay on my back with IV running through my veins. The dosage of the painkiller and whatever else they gave was just right because I didn’t feel drowsy and I felt no pain. I had taken 5 bags of IV in the theatre and 3 more that day
Oh, did I mention the catheter inserted for urine?



1:30pm: Visitors from the office



5:00pm: Biggest sis shows up and we chatted and thanked God for the safe operation.



Bathing is the tricky part. Had a towel bath in the afternoon and another in the night. My body is itching and I think it’s from the medication I’m taking in the IV. I’ve been throwing up the entire day and it’s so uncomfortable.
What I was doing in between visits? watching CNN, reading my tweets, WhatsApping, thanking people from work who sent me good wishes all the while with a mind focused on appreciation to God on how smooth the whole experience was


10:00pm: Slept but had to get up a couple of times to throw up.

No comments: